Distance from Riga 143 km (A6)


Jekabpils was merged with Krustpils in 1962.

The Jewish community of Jēkabpils was registered in 1810. Its members were mostly descendants of Lithuanian Jews. A Beit Midrash, 3 synagogues, and several Jewish public organizations functioned in the town. A yeshiva was opened in 1830. From 1850, until the WWI a Yiddish school for boys was in operation in Jekabpils. A public library with the reading hall was opened in 1901.

By 1881, the Jewish community of Jekabpils had 2,254 members, which made up 41% of the whole population of the town. More than 150 Jewish homes and community buildings were destroyed in Jēkabpils during the WWI. By 1935, the 793 Jews, who lived in the town, made up 14% of its overall population.

The Nazis occupied Jēkabpils on the 29th of June 1941. In a few days, all the local Jews were ordered to gather in the synagogues. They were kept prisoner there until September 1941, when all of them were brutally murdered in the Kukas swamp near the town.

At present the Jewish community of Jekabpils consists of about 40 people.


Cemetery, Saules and Nameja Junction. It was opened in the early 19th century. Some of the headstones exist since the time when the cemetery started functioning. The remains of the Jekabpils Jews, murdered at the Kukas swamp were re-buried here and the monument in their memory was unveiled in the 1950s.


Subscribe for news