Distance from Riga 204 km (A6, P63)


The first Jews settled here in the early 19th century. The Jewish population of the town in 1847 consisted of 284 people. By 1897, their number increased to 1,375. A Jewish school and 4 synagogues were opened in Preili in the late 19th century.

The 847 Jews, who lived in the town in 1935, made up 51% of its whole population.

On the 28th of June 1941, Preili was occupied by the Nazi troops. Some 800 local Jews and the refugees from other areas were executed during July and August 1941.


Synagogue, Brīvības, 8. The wooden synagogue was built in 1865 and reconstructed in 1938.

The Cemetery, Cēsu St. It was built in the early 19th century, and was opened for burials until 1964.

Monument in Memory of the Victims of the Holocaust, Cēsu St, near the cemetery. It was opened in 2004 by the initiative and with the financial support of David Zilberman. The quote from the dairy kept by the local Jewish girl Sheina Gram from 22nd June 1941 until her tragic death on the 8th of August 1941 is engraved on the monument.


Subscribe for news